Monday, October 27, 2008

Cinderella Castle

Neuschwanstein Castle
&
Hoenschwangau Castle
One of the neatest (and most exhausting) stops on our trip was to the famous castles. For those of you who don't know, the Cinderella Castle at Disneyland (the one on Disneys famous logo) was designed after the Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany. The castle is massive and completely gorgeous! The inside was really fascinating. Many of the paintings were painted straight on the wall, complete with fake frames painted around them! Almost every square inch inside was painted in some way, whether with murals or decorative colors.
The hike up to the castle was a killer though! We started out hiking up to Hoenschwangau, which is where we are in the photo below. Look how far away Neuschwanstein is! Both castles are situated on hills, so we had to hike up and down the first, and up and down the second. This was one of the hardest parts of the trip...being nautiously pregnant while hiking up mountains. Paul was the trooper though, as he had to push the stroller the whole way!

After we toured Neuschwanstein, we took yet another hike up to an old bridge which affords a greater view of the castle. Much to our chagrin, when we arrived we found the palace bedecked with scaffolding for a massive rennovation project. Still, it is an impressive castle to say the least.

Some more Fall foliage, with Hoenschwangau in the center.

Here is the close-up of Hoenschwangau. It was also amazing, just different. I have never seen an orangy-yellow castle before.
We were all pooped by the end. I envied Logan at the time!

3 comments:

soybeanlover said...

Thank you so much for posting your adventures! It may give me a little heimweh, but it is beautiful! I remember the hike to neuschwanstein very well...I'm very very impressed with you and your athletic bunch! How is the food agreeing with you?

PamNoyes said...

Neuschwanstein was my fav. I think you must have put a very rosy gloss over the flight info...I just can't imagine a flight that long with two little ones (and morning sickness)! I hope the sleeping helped!

Cynthia Lyn said...

I remember that!!!! I went there, like 16 years ago. . . but I remember!!! Did you also know that Neuswander castle was an inspiration for the SLC temple? The archetech went to europe to get ideas on how to build it. Interesting tidbit of info for you!