Monday, October 20, 2008

Germany Vacation

Hi friends and family! We are now back from our two week trip in Germany to visit our friends the Brooks, and relax. It was a whirlwind trip and we are absolutely exhausted, but it was well worth it! There was so much to do and see that I'm going to divide the trip into multiple posts.
BAMBERG
We arrived in Germany by flying space available through the military. We flew in a huge cargo plane, where all of the luggage was stacked in the middle! It was an all-night flight, which I was nervous about at first. However, as it was not your traditional plane, we all got to lay out on the floor and sleep!
We arrived in Ramstein, where our friend Aaron Brooks picked us up. The poor guy had to drive 3 1/2 hours to get there, and about 5 hours to bring us back to his house in Bamberg (due to traffic)! It made for a very long day of traveling.
The first place we visited was downtown Bamberg. We were in luck as there was a huge flea market going on that weekend. Paul was in his element roaming the streets trying to find a good deal! It was so neat seeing the old buildings and tasting the German treats. We sampled roasted chestnuts (you know, like from the song "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."). I didn't like them that much, but Paul did. While shopping around we took pictures of the massive old buildings.
Here is a little side street packed with vendors.
We didn't know what half the buildings were, but took pictures just because they looked cool!
We found flowers in windowboxes to be a very common yet beautiful aspect of German scenery
In case you were wondering, Paul got really good deals on a German beer stein, (he's always wanted one) and a nutcracker. He bartered in Russian so that he wouldn't sound like a touristy American, and the tactic worked in our favor. :-)

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sounds like such a fun trip, and that was only part 1! I'm sure you had lots of fun with Aaron & Carissa too ;)

Sarajane said...

what fun. are you still living in DC?

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

i'm so impressed that you guys did space a together. i want to do it in feb to go back to the states, but i'm super nervous. did you have any trouble getting back? what an adventure. i love that paul spoke russian. too funny.

T*town said...

Paul, youre awesome for negotiating in Russian! nice. I'm so jealous of your Space A travel. I totally want to try that one time. We'll talk more when i get back in town.

AZ SMITHS said...

Ahhh! I am sooo jealous!!! I miss Germany so much! How were you feeling? I remember romping around Europe with my parents and being pregnant! I was sooo sick. Hopefully that didn't stop you from having a great time!!!

Janus said...

ok, I just stumbled onto your blog. It's great to read up on what your family is doing.

Anyway, it's good to see you andyour family.

Love,
Grant and Janus Wheeler (aka, your cousins) I just thought I would put that in, in case you have trouble remembering us. BTW, check out our blog..www.threewheelers.blogspot.com


PS. JAG means...Janus Grant Alexis, just in case you wanted to know...ok, I'll stop rambling now. Hee!! Hee!!

Cynthia Lyn said...

WOW! a trip to Germany? I went there when I was abotu 12, but I really didn't appreceate much (except the ITalian ICe cream! You MUST try it). IT looks about how I remember. I love those old quant little buildings!

Unknown said...

What a blast! That is just wild you flew in a cargo plane and slept on the floor. It sounds like you had quite the experience and a good time with the Brooks. I am so jealous!! I would love to go visit Germany. Hope you were feeling well on your trip.