Sunday, October 26, 2008

Garmisch

On for the next installment...
GARMISCH - Linderhoff Palace
We spent one week in Garmisch, which was absolutely breathtaking! The mountains you see behind Paul and the boys surrounded the entire area. The leaves were starting to change for the Fall, so there was a panorama of colors everywhere you looked. I could not believe so much beauty could exist in one place!



Our first day-trip in the Garmisch area was to the Linderhoff Palace, which was built by King Ludwig II. It was the most elaborate, ornate, and all around decked-out building I have ever seen! Every surface was covered with something or other.
Here is the palace exterior.
And a picture of the royal bedroom. Can you believe it!!! (Maybe there was a little ego involved in the building of the palace, what do you think?)

The grounds were equally impressive with a massive fountain and immaculate gardens. I loved these covered walkways. I could have wandered through them for hours meditating, if the kids would have allowed it. I have to admit, the boys did all right considering it must have been pretty boring for them. I kept Aaron distracted by pointing out any sculptures of horses and the color purple (his favorite), which he calls "puh-puh."

Here is an elevated picture of the grounds and palace.

The king also had a grotto built for him, complete with seashell ship in a pond, choir seats, and a stage for performances!

We took this picture to start the photo journal of my expanding waistline. (Didn't know where else to put it, sorry).

The Linderhoff Palace was a fun stop for our family!

1 comment:

Cynthia Lyn said...

I cna't believe you are doing this whole trip with two young kids and a baby on the way. What a trooper! I wouldn't be so brave (but then again, if I had the choice, I would have to go too)